Thursday, March 25, 2010

An 'exhibitionist' room and a 'doodler' room - which would your soul prefer?

I had no idea I was going to have so much fun with this blog.  I mean, look at what I've discovered, and not just about designs and furniture but, more excitingly, about myself.

OK, call me self-indulgent or narcissistic if you like.  I don't care because I'm finally allowing myself to discover  new worlds out there. 

For someone who has been so absorbed in her own world for so long, afraid to check out the universe, on and offline, and not realizing how absorbed and afraid she was, this is an achievement of proportions equaling a turtle swimming across an ocean.  The only difference, I suppose, is that the turtle probably doesn't think it's a big deal.  But I do and I'm not ashamed to say so.

I suppose I should explain.  But only briefly.  Actually, let me see if I can do it in one sentence.

I have been a scared, prudish (who would have thought?), better-than-thou (might that also be prudish), foolishly modest and unimaginative in aspiration or ambition, critically dismissive of luxury, inventiveness and fun for their own sake woman with a largely un-lived life.  Alright, I may be exaggerating here, but not much, I assure you. Still, let's move on.

So, what have I discovered?  Well, look at the hotel room below, for goodness sake.  It's fully mirrored. 


 This image from here


When I first saw it, I thought it was an outdoor room, but it isn't/  How's that for creating an illusion of space and seamlessness?  Just don't anybody have a tantrum and throw things at the wall or the ceiling. (Now there's an interesting thought - people don't tend to throw things vertically when they're in a rage, do they?  Any idea why?)

7 Pieces Black, Brown, and White Suede Patchwork Comforter Bedding Set / Bed-in-a-bag Queen Size  Divatex Home Fashions Royal Opulence Satin Queen Sheet Set, Black 


  Trend Lab Versailles Black and White 4 Piece Crib Set

I like the idea but I wonder if it would tire me after a while, you know, make me feel exhausted?  I kinda think the soul would object too.  Too much exposure when I know it prefers to emerge cautiously and unnoticed.

This next one is just one cool room, perfect for the soul to scamper around and doodle. I wouldn't mind having a room like this in my house but I'm not sure I'd sleep in it.  Wouldn't rule it out completely though.  With different lighting, it may feel quite cozy in the evening, like being surrounded by my best friend-thoughts.

 This image from here

It looks like it's designed for a child. Mmm...for a couple hours perhaps, but I wouldn't have had my kids in there all day and night. The senses need a rest, some quiet spaces.

I do think it's a great idea for an adult's room too. A doodle-ed room.  I'd have replaceable or, better still, wipe-over walls (no, they musn't need chalk or toxic inks to write or draw on), ones that you could easily clean so you could doodle away to your soul's content.


 Legare 59-Inch-by-18-Inch Kids' Bookcase, Pink and White   Legare 43-Inch Kids' Desk with File Cart, Pink/White   
Pink and Black Sophia Childrens Bedding - 4pc Twin Set

Olive Kids Trains, Planes, & Trucks Toddler Comforter Bed Set  Olive Kids Flowerland Toddler Comforter Bed Set

Exhibitionist or doodler?  Perhaps a bit of both?

2 comments:

  1. The hotel room with mirrored walls and ceilings was probably not designed to promote a restful nights sleep, I would imagine.
    I would definitely put this room in the "exhibitionist" category too. All it needs to finish the look is a pole, a mirror-ball and a few coloured lights (maybe a video camera too?).

    The blue room looks like a modern take on an Egyptian tomb, Nefertiti's tomb maybe, with hieroglyphic-like symbols everywhere.

    Hmm ... an Egyptian tomb ... now there's a "room for the soul" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I'm sure the hotel has the 'fully equipped' version too :). Wouldn't it make for an interesting experiment - see what happens to brain patterns after 1,2, 6, 24 hours in a mirrored room like this or see how people respond to nudity or sex or rage after spending time in such a room...

    I never associated the blue room with an Egyptian tomb but I'm pleased you helped me see it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your comment continues the conversation this post started. Let's keep talking.