Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Do you know what your life work is and do you know that you know?

No, I'm not trying to be clever here because this is a question that I've been trying to answer for a very long time.  To be honest, I'm actually ashamed to admit it.  You'd think that by my age I'd have surely got something so fundamental sorted out.  Sadly, that ain't the case.

I've done a few different things in my life, job-wise, but I've soon tired of them and so moved on or moved away.  I often think of some of the things I might have done or might still be able to do and I wonder why I didn't or why I don't.

It's not that I'm desperately unhappy or even bored.  It's just that I feel there's so much more for me to experience and enjoy and I believe that the thing that I give most time and energy to should be the where and how I have these experiences.  Is this unreasonable?  And please don't tell me it's unrealistic because I beieve that reality is what we make, not what happens to us as we passively sit on the side-walk of life.

 So, I guess, the question I need to ask myself is: Why am I not making the reality that I really want?

Now, here's where everything I've read and heard about the Law of Attraction might provide some answers.  Well, I've gone down this alley and I've discovered some really useful things.  Like how to use visualization and how to get clear about your beliefs and change them if necessary and also, how to take action. 

Money, and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Wealth, Health, and Happiness  Jack Canfield's Key to Living the Law of Attraction: A Simple Guide to Creating the Life of Your Dreams

I'm not saying I've learned everything that I need to learn from it but I'm sure I've learned enough to help me create the reality I want. So why am I still feeling like there are worlds out there that I so want to explore?

Thomas Moore, a psychotherapist and author and who is greatly influenced by James Hillman, writes about the soul's work in his book, A Life at Work.

 A Life at Work: The Joy of Discovering What You Were Born to Do 

Now, I've noticed that you cannot read about 'soul' without also reading about 'alchemy'.  Sooner or later, you're going to have to meet it and get to understand it.  Hopefully, at some point, you'll actually experience it. So, why am I mentioning it here?  Because the overriding theme of Moore's book, A Life at Work, is alchemy.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to go into alchemy in this post but I will in other posts as I feel it's critical to 'soul talk'. But I mention it here because, according to Moore, our life and the work that we engage in is a constant process of refining our understanding of our soul's purpose, the work that it is here to do.


The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy  Alchemy: An Introduction to the Symbolism and the Psychology (Studies in Jungian Psychology)  The Path of Alchemy: Energetic Healing & the World of Natural Magic (Pathways to Enlightenment) 


I like that.  I like that a lot.  You see, it's so easy for me to dismiss some things that I've done (and even things that I'm doing) as unimportant or less important than others.  But to see it as a meaningful and critical part of understanding my soul's purpose, which is really about doing what I want to do and knowing that it is what I want to do, would be nice. 

I like this thing that Moore says:
"We humans are not evolving but circling, and that the stuff of our souls keeps coming back for more attention and more living.."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your comment continues the conversation this post started. Let's keep talking.